A project management masters degree provides excellent training for a rapidly expanding field. Project management (PM) is one of the nation’s fastest growing industries. This is an area in which trained professionals are required to plan, execute, and coordinate various projects by taking charge and directing a team to ensure deadlines are met and projects completed within the time set and without going over budget. By undertaking a PM masters you would be well placed to take up a desirable position in the shortest amount of time.
This page tells you more about the programs, provides links to both campus and online schools, and outlines the career prospects. Also check out the pages for project management, engineering management and operations management.
What do project management masters programs cover?
As a project manager it would be up to you to initiate, supervise and ensure the completion of a project. You would be required to have a proficiency in a number of areas, for example in human and administration management.
A PM masters program would typically focus on topics that are directly related to the workplace. These usually follow the globally recognized standard for project management – the content outlined in the PMBOK® Guide (“A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge”). In general, expect that the program would introduce you to the phases of project management: initiation, planning, execution, monitoring and closure.
It would include modules such as risk management, finance, planning and scheduling, general business management, communication, organization, and team dynamics. It may also include learning to use software and other tools for planning, scheduling, and executing projects, and controlling the costs. Depending on the institution and program chosen you could also be provided with skills and knowledge relating to accounting, operations, human resources, business structure, time analysis, budget analysis, and forecasting.
Effective leadership and project management go together – motivating and influencing others, and building highly effective, diverse work teams is an essential requirement to achieve the objectives of the project. Some degrees, such as the Master of Science (M.S.) Leadership with specialization in Project Management, make this connection more explicit. It is also quite common to take project management in the context of information technology, e.g., the MS in Information Technology – Project Management.
Credentialing or certification is important in the industry. Some programs are based on the standards of the Project Management Institute (PMI), and so course content will help prepare you for PMI’s Project Management Professional (PMP) credential exam.
After completing your masters degree, you can take a PhD in Project Management. A typical business project management doctoral specialization has advanced project management course work, plus business and organizational topics such as: accounting and financial management, marketing strategy, and organizational theory. You will be required to attend residential workshops during your program.
What are the prospects for graduates of project management degree programs?
The skills learnt in your program can be applied to many situations and so you don’t just have to consider project management jobs. Graduates of MS project management programs can be found working in a wide range of positions in sectors such as IT, the financial industry, engineering, construction, the automotive industry, and healthcare. If you wish to travel, there is the option of working for private or governmental organizations overseas.
According to information made available from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median salary currently available to qualified project managers now stands at $97,000 per annum. As in any industry, those graduates with the best training and education are able to command the greatest financial rewards. A position in an urban location would offer a higher salary than those openings in rural areas of the country, as well as greater flexibility.
List of schools and programs
Pioneering distance education since 1985, Liberty University is now the nation’s seventh largest university. With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
- MS in Marketing: Project Management
- Master - Project Management
Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Submit the form on the right to learn how you can make a change and advance your career.
- M.S. in Project Management
- M.S. in Management - Project Management
- M.B.A. in Project Management
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Project Management - MBA
- General Business - MBA
- Management - MBA
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science in Information Technology : Project Management
- Master of Science in Management : Project Management
- Master of Business Administration : Project Management
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- MBA - Project Management
- Master's (MIT) - IT Project Management
- MBA - Management
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Management - Project Management
- Master of Business Administration
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
- MBA Project Management
- Master of Business Administration
- MBA Management
- And more...
Capella combines outstanding academics with a supportive faculty and staff in a program designed for working adults.
An education that blends theory and practice to fuel your career
- MBA - Project Management: Business (ACBSP-, PMI-GAC-accredited)
- MS - Project Management: IT (PMI-GAC-accredited)
- MBA - Business Administration (ACBSP-accredited)
A degree from CTU can connect you to a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. So once you earn your degree, you hit the ground sprinting. That’s the power of in. Are you in?
- Denver - Master of Science - Management: Project Management-100% Online
- Denver - Master of Business Administration - Project Management
- Denver - Master of Science - Management: IT/Project Management