An organizational leadership PhD provides you with the knowledge and skills to take your place as a leader in an organization. Doctoral programs usually enable you to focus on the skills of transformational leadership in your particular section, department or division, and so to base your research in real problems that face you as a leader. You will, of course, need a masters degree before applying for a doctoral program.
Many organizational leadership degree programs come under business administration or business management, but degree programs with an organizational leadership perspective also exist in psychology, education, health, and public administration. This page gives further details about these programs, about the career prospects, about the salary you can expect on completion, and it helps you to locate schools with suitable programs.
What do organizational leadership doctorate programs cover?
An organizational leadership doctoral program allows you to focus on those aspects and applications of transformational leadership that interest you. In order to develop the knowledge and skills required for leadership, students usually take a foundation in subjects such as: psychology, human relations, finance, computer studies, and research methods. Specific leadership courses can then build on this foundation. These courses might include such courses as: management decision making, building collaborative teams, change management, strategic planning, and transformative leadership. You would then have the basis on which to conduct your own research on a topic negotiated with your university. You would be required to prepare and defend a substantial thesis based on this original research. You will probably also be required to attend some residential periods at the university.
What are the career prospects?
As organizations face increasing globalization, competition, changing economies, and changing demographics of clients and workforce, transformational leadership is required more than ever. This is true in companies in all fields of work, so whatever your career interest or current employment is, studying doctorate in organizational leadership online is a sensible choice. It will provide you with the leadership attitudes, knowledge and skills that you need to succeed in a management position at senior levels in an organization. But it is also possible to work as a development specialist, as a consultant in organizational development, or as a member of faculty in a university or college.
Chief executive officers can earn a salary of $175,000, but competition is clearly very tough for these positions.
List of schools and programs
Pioneering distance education since 1985, Liberty University is now the nation’s seventh largest university. With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
- DBA in Leadership
- Doctor of Ministry: Leadership
- Doctor of Business Administration in Information Systems
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Organizational Leadership - D.B.A.
- Organizational Leadership - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Management - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- And more...
Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Submit the form on the right to learn how you can make a change and advance your career.
- Ph.D. in Management - Leadership & Organizational Change - Course-based
- Ph.D. in Management - Leadership & Organizational Change
- Ph.D. in Management - General
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Executive Leadership (Executive Format)
- Doctor of Management General Concentration (Executive Format)
- Ph.D. Organizational Leadership
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession. Our competency-based curriculum delivers foundational knowledge and real-world skills, so what you’re learning is immediately applicable to your career. We serve more than 36,000 students from the U.S. and around the world and offer more than 140 graduate and undergraduate specializations and 20 certificate programs.
- PhD - Leadership
- DBA - Leadership
- PhD - Business Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- And more...
As the largest private university in North America, University of Phoenix has locations nationwide, and is available online in most countries around the world. Whether you're seeking a college degree at an associate's, bachelor's, master's, or doctoral level, we can help you reach your academic goal and sooner than you might think.
- Doctor of Business Administration
- Doctorate in Global Business and Leadership
- Doctorate in Entrepreneurship and Business Management
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration (DBA) (Online)