As the name suggests, a non profit organization would take any funds or money received and use it to drive forward its mission and promote its activities and services. There are no dividends or payouts to shareholders or investors. Success is typically measured by the number of people who have been helped, educated, or motivated. There has been an increase in such organizations as governments reduce their welfare options that were once common place. A non profit organization faces unique challenges in finding methods to bring in operating finances, maintaining goodwill, and using suitable evaluation tools to ensure success and highlight areas for improvement.
A masters in non profit management provides you with a qualification to advance your career in this sector. The primary focus of a masters in this field is the goal of building skills and networks that help a not for profit organization thrive and prosper. This page tells you what the masters programs are and where you can find them. Click here for information about certificates, bachelors and doctorates in this field.
What do you study in a non profit management degree at masters level?
Non profit management masters programs are designed for those who would like to play a leadership role in running a non profit organization. Such organizations require highly qualified and motivated individuals to ensure they can provide the maximum benefit to society. Due to the importance that is placed on every dollar received, the individuals working in this field need to have the best possible management skills.
The subjects that make up a non profit management degree at masters level will vary depending upon the educational institution. But a typical masters will include such topics as: strategic planning, entrepreneurship, ethnic and cultural awareness, financial management, and human resources and volunteer management. Programs will also place emphasis on developing interpersonal and communication skills, intuition, and compassion.
It is also possible to study non profit management from a psychological point of view in such programs as the MA in Psychology – Non-Profit Management. One of the good things about taking it online, is that you can study a masters or an MBA non profit management whilst continuing to work so there’s no loss of your time for your employer and no loss of salary for you.
What can you expect to earn after completing a masters?
As of 2009, and according to official data, the pay scale for qualified management graduates working in a not for profit organization is extremely varied, this is a reflection of the type of establishments were vacancies are made available. The lowest income would be on a par with the national minimum wage whereas it is also possible to command a salary of $70,000 per year if employed in a senior position in a well known NGO. The figure would depend on the organization in question, the position that is acquired, level of experience, and final qualification.
This is a field in which there are ample opportunities for trained and caring individuals to develop a lifelong career. Though the positions may not be the most financially rewarding, they do offer a type of satisfaction that is missing from the corporate world today.
List of schools and programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Graduate Business Programs and Education Programs in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Financial aid is available for students who quality, with more than $1,000,000 through 10 scholarships.
- Offers 24/7 student services, including financial aid help, course registration, and career counseling.
- Students may opt in for a two week, risk-free trial period.
- Active-duty military, veterans, and Veteran’s Administration employees can save 15% on tuition.
- Master of Public Administration - International Nongovernmental Organizations (NGOs)
- Master of Public Administration - Nonprofit Management and Leadership
- Master of Public Administration - Global Leadership
- And more...
- Business Intelligence
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship, Master of Science (Online)
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Not-for-Profit Management
- Master of Business Administration - Not-for-Profit Management
- Master of Public Administration in Public Administration
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Science in Management
Founded in 1959, California Lutheran University's dedicated, accomplished faculty works with small classes of students who are open-minded—and are seeking to grow as individuals. Everyone at Cal Lutheran is committed to helping each student pursue their passions to discover their purpose, and follow that purpose to transform their community—and the world.
- Master of Public Policy and Administration (MPPA)
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- MBA - Management
Everest University Online, a Division of Everest University, makes career training convenient and accessible. With courses tailored for working students and others who need a more flexible class schedule.
- Business Administration (Master's)
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Public Administration : Governmental Management
- Masters: Business Administration
- MS in Management
Capella combines outstanding academics with a supportive faculty and staff in a program designed for working adults.
An education that blends theory and practice to fuel your career
- MPA - Public Administration
- MPA - Public Policy and Governance
- MPA - Nonprofit Management and Leadership