If you feel that you have a talent and an idea for business that would be immediately successful if only you had the skills to put your concepts into practice, you may find it worthwhile exploring the option of undertaking an entrepreneurship degree. Armed with this qualification you would have the knowledge to understand exactly how to go about starting your own business.
This page provides more details of the programs, where they can be found, what the prospects are, and more. You might also like to check the small business education page.
What do you study in the programs?
Enrolling in an entrepreneurship degree can provide you with skills and knowledge you need, so that you know what you’re doing when it comes to launching your own business. Entrepreneurship can be studied at all levels from associate degree to doctorate, but most programs are available at masters level. Very often entrepreneurship is studied as a specialization in an MBA. As with any educational subject, the topics covered in an entrepreneurship program will vary depending on the institution and the specific degree you enroll in. Most would provide you with content similar to that given in a business administration degree together with modules specifically related to entrepreneurship.
When checking out the possible programs to take, it is important to keep in mind that you will need to be provided the knowledge and skills to build a vision that would allow you to create a successful start up company. The program of study you undertake would have to develop your leadership qualities and discipline to control the business during the initial stages of uncertainty. Once the business is off the ground it is essential that you know how to evolve your business plan and reconstruct any areas that are holding the concept back. Record keeping and attention to detail are essential qualities to have. It is vital that you are taught how to have a clear vision whilst also creating back up plans in case of failure.
The program is likely to be interdisciplinary in nature, and include general business courses in: economics, accounting, finance, taxation, business law, business ethics, communications, strategy, marketing and sales, advertising, and human resource management. In addition, there would be specialized courses in: the entrepreneurial process, entrepreneurial management, opportunity recognition, business plan development.
In the MBA Entrepreneurship specialization at Jones International University, topics include: business strategies, securing funding, writing business plans, developing marketing strategies, and examining potential markets. With the DBA in Entrepreneurship from Walden University you cover topics such as encouraging innovation, identifying market opportunities, raising capital, and managing risk and change.
You should apply for several universities and make sure your list has a range of entry requirements, i.e., higher to lower levels of school grades. In this way if you don’t get into your first choice university, at least you might get into one of the others.
What are the prospects with an entrepreneurship degree?
There is almost no limit to the potential earnings. Entrepreneurship training would arm you with the necessary skills to launch and run a successful business, but the actual profits and income that are derived can vary massively depending on market conditions and the field in which the organization is based.
Most entrepreneurs start their new business slowly and with the minimal of investment from outside sources. In the US alone, there were almost fourteen million home based businesses in 2009 – you can add to these numbers by studying a degree online.
It’s important to keep abreast of the latest technology, startups, trends, and opportunities for small business. Click here for a free subscription to the Small Business Daily News, which brings together useful information for you.
List of schools and programs
As the largest private university in North America, University of Phoenix has locations nationwide, and is available online in most countries around the world. Whether you're seeking a college degree at an associate's, bachelor's, master's, or doctoral level, we can help you reach your academic goal and sooner than you might think.
- BS in Business/Small Business Management & Entrepreneurship
- BS in Business/Public Sector
- Master of Management
- And more...
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship, Master of Science (Online)
- Business Intelligence
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- AASBA -Entrepreneurship
- AAS in Business Administration - Small Business Management
- MS in Management - Leadership
- And more...
At Post University, we believe you shouldn’t have to put your life on hold to further your education. That’s why we offer a wide range of quality Certificate, Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in a highly interactive online format that emphasizes flexibility, convenience, and support. Whichever program you choose, you can take classes in 8-week modules, six times a year from faculty members with advanced degrees and extensive real-world experience. You’ll also enjoy access to a full array of academic support services, including advising, tutoring, writing center assistance, and our virtual library at no additional charge.
- B.S. in Management - Entrepreneurship
- B.S. in Business Administration - Entrepreneurship
- A.S. in Management
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Associate of Applied Science in Business Administration: Entrepreneurship
- Associate of Applied Science in Business Administration : Small Business Management
- Master of Science in Management : Leadership
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Entrepreneurship
- MBA - Marketing
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Marketing
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Graduate Business Programs and Education Programs in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Financial aid is available for students who quality, with more than $1,000,000 through 10 scholarships.
- Offers 24/7 student services, including financial aid help, course registration, and career counseling.
- Students may opt in for a two week, risk-free trial period.
- Active-duty military, veterans, and Veteran’s Administration employees can save 15% on tuition.
- D.B.A. - Entrepreneurship
- D.B.A. - Technology Entrepreneurship
- M.B.A. in Entrepreneurship and Small Busines
- And more...