A masters of accounting degree is essential if you want to progress as a public accountant. These degrees are professional graduate programs that have been designed to be studied by students who want to work within the public sector or an institution that requires Certified Public Accounting (CPA) registration for its accounting personnel. Most states within the United States of America will require a student to have completed one hundred and fifty hours of studying prior to sitting the CPA exam.
This page provides information on what the courses are, what employers expect, certification, and what you can earn after completing the program. If you are interested in taking accountancy at graduate level, you may also like to look at the masters in forensic accounting page.
What is studied in a masters of accounting degree?
An accounting masters usually takes three semesters if taken full-time on campus or online, but can take longer if taken part-time. This program is designed to prepare students for the CPA qualifying exam as well as to given them a good knowledge of business applications and principles of accounts. The programs would typically include: managerial accounting, budgeting, accounting systems, international accounting, internal controls, financial reporting, financial analysis, professional ethics, taxation, information systems and also auditing both internal and external.
As well as studying accounting as an accounting masters degree, you can also study it as a major in accounting as part of a degree, or as a specialization in an MBA.
What about Professional Certification?
It is very useful for accountants to be certified by an appropriate body. This usually involves passing a series of tests offered by the relevant Institute.
In the US, legally practicing accountants are Certified Public Accountants (CPAs), and non-statutory accountants are Certified Management Accountants (CMAs), Certified Internal Auditors (CIAs), Association of Certified Project Accountants (ACPA), and Accredited Business Accountants (ABAs).
In Canada, the accounting bodies are: the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CA), the Society of Management Accountants of Canada (also known as the Certified Management Accountants (CMA)), and the Certified General Accountants Association of Canada (CGA).
What are the career and salary options for graduates?
There are a number of different accountancy roles that people can choose to follow after completing a masters, including: auditing, budget analysis, management accounting and also financial accounting. Most accountants will fulfill a wide range of roles however this will depend on who you actually work for. Auditors will normally work for government or corporations and their job will involve going through accounts and financial statement in order to make sure that everything is as it should be. The job of a budget analysis is to manage and develop the financial plans for businesses, which can be both private sector and also government.
There are really three different categories of accountants and these are certified management accounts, certified internal auditor and also certified public accountant. The certified public accountant will work for the public sector organizations and they will offer a wide range of services including litigation, auditing, accounting and also advisory services for tax. CPA licenses certified public accountants, which is the Certified Public Accountants Institute. In order to work as a certified public accountant you will need to achieve a bachelors degree in accounting and there is a stringent exam that also needs to be passed. Certified internal auditors provide auditing functions for employers rather than the public sector. Certified management accountants normally work for employers however they may also work for the public sector in a limited capacity.
A graduate with an accounting masters will have many job opportunities and it is also possible to build on the initial degree. In order to work as an accountant you will need to meet some licensing requirements and there may be state as well as federal regulations. The certified public accountant is the most popular accountancy profession and this will require the person to pass the CPA exam and there may also be some other requirements, but this varies depending on the state.
In the United States of America it is possible for an accountant to make between $37,500 and $51,500. This sector has more females working in it than men – sixty four per cent of accountants are female.
List of schools and programs
- Phoenix Career Services™ help students find careers that match their interests & map out a personalized career plan.
- Mentorships & networking opportunities available through Alumni Association of 800,000+ graduates.
- Flexible start date and class schedules.
- 100+ locations and online options.
- Offers special military rates and special advisors who have a military background.
- Students can earn credits for applicable military training and education.
- M.S. in Accountancy
- M.B.A. - Accounting
- Master of Business Administration/Finance
- Ranked among the Best Online Graduate Business Programs and Education Programs in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Financial aid is available for students who quality, with more than $1,000,000 through 10 scholarships.
- Offers 24/7 student services, including financial aid help, course registration, and career counseling.
- Students may opt in for a two week, risk-free trial period.
- Active-duty military, veterans, and Veteran’s Administration employees can save 15% on tuition.
- M.S. in Accounting
- M.S. in Accounting - Accounting for the Professional
- M.S. in Accounting - Self-Designed
- And more...
Earn your degree online with Grand Canyon University. We offer approximately 100 bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degree programs that can be completed 100% online. Degree programs are available in the fields of education, nursing and health sciences, business, fine arts and production, and liberal arts.
- M.S. in Accounting
- M.B.A.: Accounting
- M.B.A.: Finance
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Accounting - Finance Specialization
- MS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
- Master's-Accounting and Financial Management
To get ahead, you need an education that will truly set you apart and is affordable. A private, non-profit, fully accredited institution, Bellevue University is dedicated to helping you earn a degree that prepares you to advance your career. Bellevue University has graduated over 40,000 students with an education that combines the latest knowledge and professional skills employers expect. More than 70 bachelor’s, master’s and Ph.D. programs in growing fields such as IT, Healthcare, Business, Safety and Security, are available online and on campus.
- Master of Science in Accounting - MS
- Master of Science in Strategic Finance - MS
- Industry-focused degree programs and specialized concentrations designed for Business and Management professionals in a broad range of disciplines.
- A 2012 Top-10 online MBA Program, ranked by the International Graduate Forum.
- Supportive community of students, educators, mentors and successful professionals ready to welcome you. Are You In?
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Finance
Pioneering distance education since 1985, Liberty University is now the nation’s seventh largest university. With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
- MS in Accounting
- MBA - Accounting
Capella combines outstanding academics with a supportive faculty and staff in a program designed for working adults.
An education that blends theory and practice to fuel your career
- MBA - Accounting (ACBSP-accredited)
- MBA - Finance (ACBSP-accredited)
Earn Your Degree from U.S. News & World Report-Ranked Florida Tech – 100% Online
Grounded in a tradition of excellence since 1958, a degree from Florida Tech puts you in good company. With a longstanding reputation of unmatched academics, Florida Tech has educated NASA scientists, CEOs of Fortune 500 companies and highly decorated military generals. Join distinguished alumni and empower yourself with a career-building degree that employers value.
- MBA Accounting
- MBA Accounting and Finance
- MBA Finance